Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Things Unseen



For those of you who know me well, more than likely you've played the "How many fingers am I holding up?" game with me. And most definitely, sans contacts, my answer was dead wrong.

First there was my dental defeat. Now I've had another crushing blow from the eye doctor. As if it was even possible to believe, I'm getting blinder. It really is quite humiliating to sit in the doctor's chair with the big bug eyes contraption over your face and truly not be able to read the very top line. Contrary to popular belief, it's not always a giant E. If only it was! Then I could at least guess my way to good vision!

Kevin has been gracious to remind me that our failing bodies are a reminder to us that this world is fallen. In the very beginning, God did not create us for death. Our teeth weren't supposed to decay. Our eyes weren't supposed to depend on contacts. But when the fall happened and sin came into the world, our physical bodies were affected as much as our hearts. So today, even though I know that my eye sight isn't great affliction, I feel like I can identify with the Bible when it says:

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:16-18

(I had Beth at work figure out a tricky math equation that equals my oh-so terrible eye sight. But alas...Blogger can't handle all the crazy math signs. If you're that curious, let me know & I'll tell you.)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I would love to know the big math equation, but since my math know-how only extends (almost) to long division, I guess I'll pass. The only number symbols I need are right over there on my number pad next to the numbers.
And I'm so sorry about your eyes. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

great reminder...

but i feel like the ultimate aim of that entire post was just so you could say "sans contacts"...lol, j/k.