Saturday, August 29, 2009

Becky Goes to Camp


When I was little, I loved, loved, loved this ridiculously stupid movie called "Ernest Goes to Camp." In fact, Kevin once pulled it up on YouTube and made me guess what movies it was just by listening to the intro music. I guess in about five seconds. So this blog post "Becky Goes To Camp" is in memory of my childhood friend, Ernest P. Worrell.

We survived our week of English camp last month! Truly, it was not as demanding as I thought it was going to be. The kids spent the morning & afternoon in class and, with as many foreign teachers as we have, each one of us only had to teach for an hour and a half. We taught vocabulary, sentence structures, songs, and games.

Of course, class was by far NOT the highlight for the kids. What they loved most was lunch time. We had Western food on the menu everyday. I still think its funny that kids here get a kick out of using a fork!



After lunch, we went outside to play for an hour or so. Playing tag outside in late July is a sure formula for a lot of sweaty people. It's funny how my vocabulary is greatly built by my experiences. The word of the week: sweat and any variation of said word.



I made friend with a few little girls in the group. During my class period, I had made the kids a word search to make learning vocabulary a little more fun. They thought it was so great so for the rest of the week, everyday they would bring me a word search that they had made. Only it wasn't in English! They were very impressed when Becky Lao Shi (that's my classroom alias Teacher Becky) could actually complete the puzzle, seeing that I can't read. I may be illiterate but I can still put together two matching "pictures!"

Our new semester starts the week after next so we again will welcome one-day weekends back into our lives for a while. But it's worth it!

1 comment:

Jamie Butts said...

I liked the update and pics. :)
And, I think that Kevin should be Ernest for Halloween. And, take a similar photo. Ha!