Saturday, February 27, 2010

Life, Death, and something in between

We all know it but we just don't always care to acknowledge it. The cycle of life that ebbs and flows. It just so happens that this past week, all of life's ebbs and flows got shoved into a very concentrated period of time for me.

Life We were oh-so very thrilled to welcome our little nephew, Jonathan Peek, into the world on February 21. My rockin' sis-in-law labored with the little guy for 24 hours before popping out a healthy little boy. Seeing that our time zone is 13 hours ahead of them, we were happier to take her 5 AM call (our 6 PM) than probably the rest of the family. Chris & Sarah might possibly be coming for a visit in July, so we could potentially be able to give this little guy a hug sooner than we thought.

Death My granny has recently been put in Hospice care, which most likely suggests the beginning of the end. She has had shortness of breath recently because of excessive fluid build-up in her lungs. The drugs they are using to treat that are really hard on her kidneys. So it will probably end up that either her lungs or her kidneys will give out on her. I got to talk with her on the phone twice over the weekend. We had a really sweet conversation. A long time ago, she had told me her favorite hymns so we sang "In the Garden" and "How Great Thou Art" on the phone together. Then she told me her faovrite bible verses: John 3:16 and John 14. "You know," she said, "I think John 3:16 sums it all up." I agree, my sweet granny. I agree. I am thankful for her faith and confidence that she will see her savior Jesus face to face because of her trust in him.

Something in between My little friend Emma turned five this weekend. She is Beans previous owner so she is seriously in love with our wee puppy (who, in fact, is not so wee anymore). As a surprise, we decked Beans out in her pink argyle sweater and birthday signs to meet Emma at the park for her birthday outing. Emma was thrilled, Beans was so excited she made a big puddle on the sidewalk. All in all, a good day.

So the collision of all these emotions has made it quite a tiring week. I'm thankful for rest and for the sovereign God who is over all things.

3 comments:

Anne said...

sorry to hear about your Granny, Becky.Its got to be tough when you can't get to see her. Thinking of both of you, love Anne

Susan/Mama said...

Ah, life, ain't it sweet?

Love you my daughter. So glad you write this blog.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Granny. I lost my Grandpa in January after he had been on homecare then hospice. It is tough whether they are old or not. I'll be thinking about you. On a happier note...woohoo for baby Jonathan. You two may see him before we do. Who would've thought?!? And I love Beans...
Terra