Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Death of a Loved One

It's been a sad past week and a half in the Peek home. We had to say goodbye to someone we dearly loved. Our car (who I named Tabby when I was 16) has left us for the great garage in the sky.

It all started the Friday before last when Chris was taking Tabby for her final voyage. She broke down on the side of the road and spend the next week in between the shoulder on Frankfort Avenue and two mechanic shops only to find out that her timing belt broke and her valves bent. It was going to cost $1600 to bring her to life again, and though we love her (and need her!), our budget just can't support that right now. I ended up selling her on Craigs List (yes, Beth Wilson, an idea fee to you!), and now we're learning how to be a one-car family.

In other news, we had a freakish warm front today. For the first time in weeks, I got to run outside in shorts and a T-shirt. Surprisingly enough, I've actually enjoyed my cold weather runs but this was nice for a change. I even had to be concerned about my ice cream getting melty in the car on the way home from the grocery store this evening. Not a frequent occurance in these parts during December.

Kevin finished his spring semester strong and then plunged back into the thick of things with a week long mini-mester class. They're called J-terms around here and it pretty much means Kevin leaves the house the same time I do in the morning and spends all day in class. Tonight he went straight from class to work! My husband is such a hard worker. I love that about him.

We're headed off to the Great Land o' Tejas next week! The other Peeks are road tripping with us so we're pulling an all-nighter to drive home. Well, most likely Kevin & Chris will do most of the driving and Sarah & I will do most of the sleeping in the backseat. But that's what men are supposed to do, right? We are all very excited to see family & friends. I'm especially excited to take a break from office life.

Well, that about wraps up the happenings around here. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was very sorry to here about the car. I know she will be missed by many around there. I can't wait to see you guys!

ashley said...

RIP, Tabby... :(

when will ya'll be in el tejas?