Thursday, March 03, 2011

Because every adoption needs a moment like this...

I have an iChat date with my parents every weekend. It's fun to hear about how their week has been, how dad's Horns are doing, how mom's workout program is going. And I imagine they enjoy hearing what's going on with us too. But it's not every weekend that a conversation like this happens:

Dad: You got a letter from the IRS. Looks like they gave you some money.

Me: Wow. Kev sure is on top of things if we've already got our tax return back.

Kev: (bursts into the bedroom after overhearing us) But I haven't finished our taxes yet. How can they be giving us money?

Dad: Oh. It looks like this check is from your 2008 taxes.

What a blessing. The exact week we are shopping around to buy plane tickets to Africa, an unexpected check shows up with our names on it.

An unexpected check for $783.84.

An unexpected check that we should have received two years ago.

Our God is so good. He knows our needs and provides for them in the most surprising ways.

8 comments:

Amber said...

Oh my gosh y'all that is amazing!!!!!

God is so cool like that. Once a few years ago when we lived in Houston I bought some camera equipment that was going to be free with a rebate. We waited and waited and waited for that rebate to come. Never did. We called, they sent another one, still didn't come. Several months passed, they said they sent another one. I had pretty much forgotten about it. It was only $100, and I wanted it back but it wasn't going to ruin my life. Then the hurricane hit. We were stuck in Houston with no family or friends, a newborn baby and the threat that our electricity and water were going to be off for several days - and we had no money in the bank for gas. Nothing. We only had five hours to get out of town. We didn't know what we were going to do but we hopped in the car and started driving. Almost as an afterthought we decided to check the mail on the way out of town.

You guessed it. A check for $100. :D It's like he's just going, "SEE? You didn't really need that money two years ago, did you?!" :)

The Foster Family said...

Amen!! An email hopefully coming soon.

Lynsey said...

wow. that. is. awesome.

It's great to be reminded of how good God is. :)

Shayna said...

Becky - this just thrills me! We have such a good God, and I'm continually amazed how He provides for His children. He is so creative in the way that He does it - what fun to see how He provides!

Susan/Mama said...

Well, I guess I'd better get that check in your bank, then shouldn't I. God's a little more prompt than I am.

David Pope said...

God even works through the IRS. He IS omnipotent ... and as a friend once said, "Works in 'mischievous' ways!"

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing, Becky! Love that

Carrie said...

I love these stories of how God is all about providing for adoption! It's a beautiful thing as we have watched Him take care of you guys.